We're still plugging along in the home buying process. We've had the inspection, but it showed some minor problems and one major one. The big problem is easily fixed, it just requires some $$$, the house needs a new furnace and AC, and we probably won't get financing without it. ( Gotta love VA loans.) We're also waiting for one of the utilities to be turned on still, so I'll have to have the inspector come back for that part, which means I have to pay him again. At least his return fee is not too expensive. It's frustrating when we pushed back the inspection twice, and were assured the utilities would be on, to show up and find the gas still was not on. I think that no one was there when the gas person showed up and so they didn't turn it on.
We also had some problems with the escrow company. They just up and closed down their local office. So one day we're dealing with Stella, the next, the voice mail says to call a different number. And no one there will say where Stella and her whole office have gone to. Finally Jeff asked if he should stop emailing Stella for stuff, and Suzie (new escrow officer) said yes. Her emails will not be answered. On the plus side, even though it was only a day later, they had all of our info and documents in hand and were able to answer questions Jeff had. That's the important part, so we'll go with it for now.
I am really hoping this all gets worked out. Not because I'm super duper attached to this house (it's nice, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of houses out there) but because I don't want to go through all this krap again.
And it's not cheap either, so far I've paid a $2k deposit, $300 for an inspection, and I'll be billed $450 for the appraisal if this all doesn't go through. Eeep, this could get expensive quick if this house doesn't work out.
I'll update later when we know more.